Windmills in the Czech Republic


My apologies for mangling words and place names on this page - I don't speak Czech, and some words on this page have been rendered without accents. In addition, I've sometimes had to guess which word on a page was the town - it's highly likely that I've managed to mis-locate a number of these mills, or have placed them under a heading which is not their actual location.

Windmill is rendered in Czech as either "vetrnik", or "vetrny mlyn".

Arnoltice (#cz34)

(50.83957,14.2616)
tower mill : residential conversion

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Brusperk (#cz23)

(49.70176,18.2298)
tower mill :

[photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Budisov (#cz42)

(49.27979,16.0102)
tower mill :

Entries in photo archives:

Bzová (#cz27)

(49.89531,13.8654)
tower mill : house converted

Entries in photo archives:

Chvalkovice (#cz2)

(49.18591,17.1182)
tower mill :


This brick built cylindrical tower from 1873 retains a great deal of its internal machinery, though the external appearance of the mill has deteriorated in recent years.

The mill was extensively modernized in 1918 when a gas coke motor was added as a power source, and a rolling and peeling machine introduced. Operation continued until 1941.

[info]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Donín (#cz40)

(50.31169,13.8967)
tower mill :

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

HeĊ™manice (#cz43)

tower mill :

Entries in photo archives:

Horní Polubný (#cz41)

(50.77338,15.3504)
tower mill : house converted

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Huntírov (#cz35)

(50.78203,14.3089)
tower mill : residential conversion

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Janov (#cz22)

(50.85795,14.2628)
tower mill : 1844

[info] [map]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Jednov (#cz12)

(49.54791,16.8799)
tower mill : house converted

[photo] [info]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Klobouky u Brna (#cz3)

(48.99167,16.8581)
post mill :


This post mill is the last remaining of 3 mills that once dominated the town of Klobouky. It was originally constructed at Pacetluky, and transported to its current position.

[info] [map]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
11 Facebook images

Korenec (#cz4)

(49.52845,16.7548)
tower mill :


Stone built tower. The field round the mill is a haven for lots of different types of mushrooms.

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Kromeriz (#cz16)

Museum Kromerizska: post mill :

[info]

Entries in photo archives:

Kunkovice (#cz5)

(49.18399,17.1716)
tower mill :


Derelict tower mill, with some contents remaining. Roof is in good condition, but below that things get worse - windshaft is burnt through, and remains of one gear wheel are on top floor. The single central pair of millstones remain somewhat precariously in place on the middle floor, being 1m in diameter, and the top stone is 28cm thick, with a 6cm iron shaft driving it.

The ground floor is uneven wth no stairs remaining to upper floors. Outside, the tower is on a mixture of different size bricks, with much of the rendering now breaking off, and bricks have dislodged around windows and doorways. No doors remain in place. The bare stocks of the sails remain.

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Kuzelov (#cz6)

(48.85273,17.4958)
tower mill :


Conical stone tower mill dating from 1842, with a shingled roof, which retains its milling machinery.

Grain continued to be milled here until the end of the First World War, then through to 1946 just crushing rather than milling was performed. The owners from 1904 to the end of its working line were the Kasik family, and by 1973 it was in a state of disrepair. In that year the technical Museum in Brno stared a restoration which took till 1977, and the mill is now open to the public along with the adjacent residential and agricultural buildings.

The festival "Hornacke slavnosti" is held at the mill each June, and the mill features on a Czech postage stamp.

[info] [photo] [photo] [map] [info] [photo] [info] [photo] [photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
Picasa Web Album images are copyright their individual photographers.
19 Facebook images

Lesne (#cz19)

tower mill :

[photo] [info]

Entries in photo archives:

Mikulásovice (#cz36)

tower mill : rubble

Entries in photo archives:

Mlada Boleslav (#cz30)

(50.42043,14.9040)
tower mill : house converted

Entries in photo archives:

Nemcice (#cz7)

(49.44388,16.7163)
tower mill : no remaining machinery. Residential converted


Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Ostrov u Macochy (#cz11)

(49.37915,16.7552)
tower mill :


[photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
5 Facebook images

Petrovice (#cz8)

(49.40780,16.7032)
tower mill : converted into a very luxurious residence


Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Prague (#cz1)

(50.08820,14.3513)
Pension Vetrnik: tower mill : residential conversion

Pension Vetrnik
Pension Vetrnik

The white painted cylindrical tower mill now incorporated into Pension Vetrnik was originally built in 1722. The sails and milling machinery were removed around 1899, and the residential wing added as part of the conversion in 1902 by the grandfather of the present owner. During the Communist era, the buildings provided housing for 3 or 4 families.

Pictures from 1958 show the accomodation has changed a bit since then, and now the residential wing provides the six guest rooms of the pension. A couple of millstones in the gardens are a reminder of the building's milling heritage.

[homepage] [info]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
Picasa Web Album images are copyright their individual photographers.

Premyslovice (#cz13)

(49.55381,16.9619)
tower mill :


[photo] [photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
31 Facebook images

Prícovy (#cz14)

(49.67558,14.3822)
tower mill : partly ruined shell

[info] [info] [photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Rakouska (#cz18)

tower mill :

[photo]

Entries in photo archives:

Roznov (#cz32)

(49.45991,18.1559)
Wallachian Museum: post mill : moved from Kladníky Prerovská to museum and restored

[homepage]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Roznov (#cz33)

(49.46073,18.1579)
Wallachian Museum: wooden windengine:

[homepage]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Rudice (#cz9)

(49.33376,16.7279)
tower mill :


Rudice garden
Rudice garden

Cylindrical random stone tower mill, built 1865, by M Sevcik (whose family contined to own it through to 1970).

Repairs were made in 1922, but the sails were destroyed by a storm in 1925, and in 1929 the mill switched to electrical power. Milling was stopped by officials during WW2, who cancelled the miller's privilege in 1945. Repairs in 1968 did much to arrest the general disrepair, and new sails were fitted in 1973. The tin roof of an earlier repair was removed in 1996, and a shingled roof reinstated.

The mill now houses a museum, which opened in August 1994, including geological and caving exhibits, and a history of the village. In the garden there is a collection of millstones, though none of the milling machinery remains inside the tower.

[info] [info] [photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
Picasa Web Album images are copyright their individual photographers.

Rumburk (#cz37)

(50.95508,14.5652)
church incorporating substantial part of windmill wall:

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Ruprechtov (#cz10)

(49.33271,16.8480)
tower, topped with a wind engine:


This cylindrical mill tower was built by Cyril Wagner in 1873 with regular sails. However after storm damage in 1882, Cyril changed to using a multi-vaned Halladay wind-engine, which almost doubled the power of the mill.

During the 20th century, the mill had many owners, but was put out of action when the Wehrmacht used the area as a shooting range during the Nazi occupation. As then mill owner, J Tesar, was removed from the mill in 1948, the mechanism fell into disrepair.

The remains were dismantled, and a reconstruction of the wind-engine was undertaken in 1994-5, following the original design. The tower itself no longer houses the original milling machinery, but is open to the public at certain times.

[photo] [photo] [photo] [info] [map]

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
Picasa Web Album images are copyright their individual photographers.
13 Facebook images

Ruzova (#cz21)

(50.83642,14.2902)
Penzion Vetrny Mlyn: tower mill : converted to a B&B

[info]

Entries in photo archives:

Rymice (#cz25)

(49.34407,17.5329)
post mill :

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Sirejovice (#cz39)

(50.47871,14.0822)
tower mill : converted in to a castle, now ruinous

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Skalicka (#cz15)

post mill :


[info]

Entries in photo archives:

Stary Poddvorov (#cz26)

(48.88082,16.9650)
post mill :

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Stipa (#cz17)

(49.26307,17.7397)
tower mill :

[info] [photo]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
3 Facebook images

Svetlik (#cz20)

(50.89569,14.5573)
tower mill :


2003 © Ivo Koukol


2003 © Ivo Koukol


2003 © Ivo Koukol

Vertical sided tower mill, retaining most internal machinery, and some remnants of sails (stored inside). Undergoing restoration, commencing with external rendering work in 2002.

[info]

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Trebíc (#cz24)

(49.21161,15.8673)
tower mill : 1836

Entries in photo archives:
Flickr images are copyright their individual photographers.
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.
3 Facebook images

Varnsdorf (#cz38)

tower mill : house converted

Entries in photo archives:

Velké Tesany (#cz31)

(49.24021,17.4116)
post mill : restored

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.

Vrátno (#cz29)

(50.44394,14.7038)
tower mill : house converted

Entries in photo archives:
Photos provided by Panoramio are under the copyright of their owners.


Links

General

Bibliography


Other Links



[Windmills] [Watermills] [Bookshop] [News] [Site map] :

Last updated 03/03/2017 Text and images © Mark Berry, 1997-2017 -
Svetlik images © Ivo Koukol, 2003