There has been an ongoing discussion about
windmills in Liverpool
, which was sparked by
mention of the pumping windmill in Newsham Park, and which continued through reminiscences of this and other mills.
Gareth Hughes chimes in to provide a summary of Liverpool windmills thus:
There were a total of 74 windmills in Liverpool between 1250 and 1900, and remains of five still existed until after 1945 -
Scott's or Wilson's Mill, Toxteth (demolished c1960 [disputed date]);
Leicester’s Mill, Scotland Road / Bevington Bush (demolished 1960s);
New Townsend Mill (demolished 1953);
Wavertree (remains of foundations cleared away in 1986);
Newsham Park mill was built in 1868-69 to maintain the water levels in the lakes. The builder was James Burroughs
and Son of Liverpool (quote for the work £380), machinery by Owens and Co. of London (£138). It remained in use until
the 1920s at least, and was demolished in 1954.
A number of contributors remember the Toxteth windmill as existing well into the 1960's - with one being able to place it
as existing when he photographed it as part of a school project in the 1965-67 period.
Text and images © Mark Berry,