2.PASHLEY DOWN. NR. EASTBOURNE - Map Ref: TQ60/593982.
Bolting House (c.1729) and Horizontal Windmill (1752) excavated during 1966 and 1967 by Mr. & Mrs. L. Stevens and Richard Gilbert. The rectangular Bolting House building was incorporated in the Horizontal mill designed by Thomas Mortimer of Eastbourne. The site has been left open for the public to see.
3. Sunken Post Mill Site, Pashley Down, excavated by Mr. & Mrs. L. Stevens 1968, a few yards to the north of the Bolting House/Horizontal Windmill site. Excavation of a circular depression in the ground about 15' in diameter retained by a wall nearly 4' high and composed of rough chalk and mortar. Brick plinths were placed opposite each other upon which the cross-trees would have rested.
Entry in Mills Archive database - #2796
|Last updated 03/03/2017||Text and images © Mark Berry, 1997-2017 -|