Map/aerial photo of the area around the mill
- restored and working
Bursledon windmill uses the energy of the wind to produce stoneground flour.
It was built in 1813-14, and went out of use in the 1880s.
It was restored to full working order between 1977 and 1991.
The windmill was built on open heath, but since the 1880s a wood has grown up to the east,
trees planted and houses built to the west. This means that not enough wind gets through from these
directions to work the mill. However, a north-south wind corridor is available, and normally
the mill operates on "northerlies" or "southerlies" with an average wind speed of
15 - 25 mph, Beaufort scale 4 - 5.