The Enfield windmill, a smock mill, was operated for many generations by the Robinson family. The mill existed by 1720, and Joseph Robinson was miller in 1826, followed by his son Isaac in 1845, and another son Benjamin in 1867. By 1896 the Ordnance Survey map noted the mill was disused, and in 1901 the sails were removed, before the mill was demolished in 1904. Towards the end of this period, another Isaac Robinson is listed as miller.
The mill stood on Old Park Road, towards the top of Windmill Hill, nearby to the Church of St Mary Magdalene. The mill is remembered by the current road names of Windmill Hill and Millers Green Close.
[Good collection of postcard views]
|Last updated 03/03/2017||Text and images © Mark Berry, 1997-2017 -|