18th Centry Higgins Farm Windmill
This old Brewster landmark was moved to its present site from Ellis Landing in 1974. A year later this smock windmill
was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Open to the public on July 4th 1976.
Property of the Brewser Historical Society.
National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
The Old Mill
This "smock" type windmill, constructed by Nathan Wilbur, probably is the oldest operating windmill
in the United States. Most of its parts are original.
Windmills are among the earliest devices for converting fluid energy to mechanical energy.
They also represent one of the sources of mechanical technology, their gears and bearings subsequently
being developed into important mechanical components.
The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1992
Jonathan Young Mill
Built circa 1720 in South Orleans, later moved to the center of town.
It was moved to Hyannisport in 1897. In 1983, the structure was given to the Orleans Historical Society
by the Groves Family. The Society then donated it to the town.
Dismantled and returned to Orleans, the structure was meticulously restored by volunteer labor,
donations by local businesses and public contributions.
This stone windmill built about 1703 was sold to the province for a
gun powder magazine in 1747. Rifled by General Gage of the Colony's powder on
1 Septemver 1774, it became a magazine of the American Army in 1775-76.
Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission. 1630 1930.
This old mill
Built by John Mallet on a site purchased in 1703-4, was deeded in 1747 to the
'Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England' and for many years was used as a public Powder House.
On Sept 1st 1774 General Gage siezed the 250 half barrels of gunpowder stored within it and thereby provoked
the great assembly the following day on the Cambridge Common.
The first occasion on which our patriotic forefathers met in arms to oppose the tyranny of King George III.
In 1775 it became the magazine of the American Army besieging Boston.
This tablet was placed by the Massachusetts Society of the Sons of the Revolution Sept 1st 1892.