Current mill, in full working order, dates from 2001, when it was built to replace a 1972 replica mill
that was destroyed by arson on Oct 22, 2000. In turn this was a replacement of the original 1877 mill which
was torn down in the 1920s
Windmill Point Lighthouse:
: Converted into a (now redundant) lighthouse
An Odd Life for a Windmill
This lighthouse was built originally as a windmill in the 1820's. It served the needs of the local residents, grinding
their grain into flour or animal feed. After the 1838 battle it was used as a temporary military post.
In 1872 the federal government converted the tower into a lighthouse that remained in service until 1978.
Today, the mill and adjacent land are a National Historic site.
Public convenience, erected 1992 to commemorate numerous windmills that once stood in the area
The Sandwich Windmill - 1992
In the 18th century, numerous wind-powered grist mills stood on the south shore of the Detroit River between
Sandwich and Tecumseh. Jacques Baby's mill was located near this site on lot #2 at the foot of Mill Street
not far from the historic Duff-Baby Mansion.
During the War of 1812, the American General William Hull commandeered flour for his troops from the mill
before his retreat from Sandwich. At that time, up to 50 bushels of grain per day could be ground into flour
which sold for 25 cents a pound.
This commemorative structure was erected in 1992 by the Windsor Department of Parks and Recreation with the
assistance of the Sandwich Business Association and the P.R.I.D.E Programme of the Ontario Ministry of Municipal
Affairs together with Unemployment Job Creation Programme of Employment and Immigration Canada.
This millstone brought from England on the schooner 'Kingston' to the town of York 1832 was used for grinding grain
in the historic windmill of Gooderham & Worts. The windmill stood 52 feet southwest by south of this point.
It was the eastern limit of the famous 'Old Windmill Line' on which the original plan of the city of Toronto was based.