Map/aerial photo of the area around the mill
- roundhouse house converted
All that remains of Saxmundham post mill is the substantial 3 storey roundhouse,
containing the trestle. The buck was dismantled in 1907, after it was hit by lightning, but
prior to that was probably the tallest post mill in Europe.
Using photographic evidence, the brothers John and Derek Goldsmith have
produced a model of the complete mill in its glory days. The model is on display at the
Saxmundham museum which opened
in April 2004.
The last working owners were the Turner family, who also owned a shop in the High Street. Photos show
the shop front advertising "Miller and Baker, Dealer in Corn, Chaff, Malt and Hops. Ilims smoked and dried".