Map/Aerial photo of the area around the mill
Rayleigh Town Council
Erected 1809 on the outer bailey of Castle Mount.
The last [of] 5 mills serving the town and at 68ft the highest in Essex.
Milling for 150 years, first by wind, then steam, diesel and electricity.
Sailes removed 1906 as Arthur Crabb, miller was unable top operate a 24 hour day.
Static sail unit introduced in 1974.
Sometimes called smock mill due to loading skirt.
The ground floor now used as a small museum