- restored in 1996, a vertically sided thatched mill, with tailpole to turn the 4 common sails into the wind
From the Cultural Heritage Inventory:
"SITE NAME ELPHIN WINDMILL
GRID REF.: M862 893 OS DISCOVERY MAP SERIES NO.: 33
Originally built about 1730, probably by the local landowner, the Bishop of Elphin, Edward Synge the Elphin Windmill was in ruin
by the 1830s. It was restored to full working power and opened as a visitor attraction in 1996. It is a round three stage
structure with a thatched revolving roof and sails that are positioned into the wind by means of a pole attached to a
cartwheel which is inserted in a circular grooved track on the ground. The mill was originally used for grinding corn and now
houses a visitor centre where the workings of the windmill are interpreted and demonstrated. Restoration work and development
as a tourist attraction was carried out by Elphin Area Community Enterprise Ltd. in conjunction with FAS. Elphin Windmill
is recorded on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.
The Elphin Windmill Visitor Centre is located to the north of the town and is open during the summer months and all year
round through arrangement with the local development group members. Contact details are posted on the entrance gate.
There is wheelchair access to the visitor centre and shop and to the ground floor of the windmill.
The centre is signposted from the town of Elphin.
The centre houses a museum with interpretation on windmills, a shop and an audio-visual presentation.
Guided tours of the windmill are also available.
PARKING AND FACILITIES
A car park is located opposite the site where parking for approximately 10 cars is provided.
Elphin Area Community Enterprise Ltd."