restored railway windmill, for pumping water for steam locos[info] [info] [Waymarking]
Foxton windmill, an authentic working Dutch style smock mill opened on 13th April 2003, and in its first year of operation attracted 64,000 visitors (which is very high numbers for NZ with a population of 4 million).
The windmill was largely built locally by a team of volunteers, led by Cor Slobbe. The main gearing and sails came from Vaags Molenwerken in Aalten, Holland. The architect was Mr Jan Heydra. The chairman of the Foxton Windmill Trust Inc is Mr John Langen. The mill has two pairs of stones and sells high grade wholemeal flour.[homepage] [info] [photo] [photos] [Waymarking] [StreetView]
The engineering firm of E Hayes, in 1909-10 built a large wind engine to power its works. The 6.5 metre diameter wind engine was placed atop a substantial 18 metre high tower. This engine was the prototype for a series of wind engines that the firm later produced.
The firm still exists today, as does part of the mill tower.[info] [info] [info] [info] [info] [info] [mention] [photo]
Pumped water into a tank for use by the railway
Three oversized brightly coloured beach windmills, by sculptor Leon van den Eijkel.[Waymarking]
A small mock mill used in 2006 as a ticket or information booth by the car park entrance. By 2010, this had been moved to be in a more open area.
Although a mock mill, with the exception of the sails, this is a fairly accurate external repesentation of Bush's Windmill that once stood in the centre of Nelson.[homepage] [homepage] [info] [photo] [photo] [photo] [photo] [StreetView]
From: The Press 2003 Oct. 14, p. A8, by Prue Eckett: "Andrew and Shenleigh van't Wout of Beckenham have moved the model windmill they built in their garden because it did not meet planning requirements. It has been sold to a family in Ohoka."
10 metre high, built by Emanuel van den Bemd, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his family immigrating to New Zealand from the Netherlands.[info] [info] [info] [photos] [StreetView]
Large model, built by some Dutch ex-pats[photo]
Built in 2004 at 20% scale. Called the Lady Antonetta after the Christian name of the builder's wife.
Built 1844, initially as a corn mill, but in later years it ground animal (and human) bones for use as fertilizer. Demolished 1929.[info] [info] [info] [photo] [drawing] [photo]
Originally built in 1851, the tower of Partington's mill was increased in height in 1915, leading to an unusual appearance of a conical tower, with a cylindrical extension. The mill continued to work commercially (with the help of electricity) till 1941, and was demolished in 1950. The site is now occupied by an hotel.
Auckland's Museum of Transport and Technology has 3 French Burr stones from the mill, and Howick Historical Village also displays a millstone labelled as having come from Partington's mill.[info] [info] [info] [info] [info] [info] [photo] [photo] [info] [photo] [photo] [photos] [photo] [photo] [photo] [photo] [photo] [photo] [photo]
William Wood founded a milling company, that over its history operated first by wind, then water, then steam. The seven storey smock mill, designed by Whitmore and Binyon of Suffolk, erected in 1856, was in Windmill Road, now Antigua Street, a site now occupied by the Canterbury Brewery. In around 1861 it was moved to Leithfield, where it had a further life of about 17 years, before being dismantled.
There were plans to construct a replica of this mill in Ferrymead Park - using the signal tower as a base.[details] [details] [info] [info]
Moved from Christchurch.[photo]
|Last updated 31/05/2017||Text and images © Mark Berry, 1997-2017 -|